How to authorize and deauthorize Adobe Digital Editions on a computer
To download the same ebooks to additional computers or devices, be sure to authorize each one with the same OverDrive account or Adobe ID. You can authorize up to six devices with one account.
If you plan to use ADE and the OverDrive app, we encourage you to use your OverDrive account to authorize ADE. That way, you won't run into authorization issues when you download the same ebooks on your mobile device and on your computer.
Use the steps below to authorize ADE.
If you aren't prompted to authorize ADE the first time you open it, go to Help > Authorize Computer.
- Select OverDrive (recommended) or Adobe ID from the eBook Vendor drop-down menu.
- Enter your email address (or Adobe ID) and password, then select Authorize.
Note: You won't be able to authorize ADE with a library card.
You'll need to clear your current ADE authorization if you want to authorize your computer with a different OverDrive account or Adobe ID.
Sometimes, clearing your authorization can fix transfer or download trouble as well.
Note: When you clear your authorization, any ebooks you previously downloaded to ADE will no longer work, because they're tied to the authorization you used to download them.
Use the steps below to deauthorize ADE.
- Open ADE.
- Press Ctrl + Shift + D on a Windows computer or Command + Shift + D on a Mac.
- Make sure the correct account is listed in the drop-down menu, enter your password, then click Continue.
Click Erase Authorization.
- Click OK to close the dialog box and return to ADE.
The next time you try to download a borrowed library book, you'll be prompted to authorize ADE again.
- Can I download the same ebooks to multiple devices?
- How many devices can I authorize using an OverDrive account or Adobe ID?
- How to authorize and deauthorize Adobe Digital Editions on a computer
- How to authorize the OverDrive app with an Adobe ID
- How to install Adobe Digital Editions on a computer
- How to return ebooks from an ereader or computer using Adobe Digital Editions
- How to set Adobe Digital Editions to open ebooks automatically
- How to transfer library ebooks to an ereader using Adobe Digital Editions
- What does it mean to authorize the OverDrive app?