How to use a new offline dictionary with the OverDrive app
If you're using OverDrive for Fire tablets, Android, or iOS (iPhone/iPad/iPod touch) or you've installed OverDrive for Chromebook from the Google Play store, you can install additional dictionaries to use in the app.
Fire tablets, Android, and Chromebook
- Install one of the dictionary apps from Google Play (we like Livio or ColorDict) or the Amazon App Store (we like Livio).
Note: You'll need to use one of Livio's offline dictionaries (English, Spanish, French, Italian, or German). The OverDrive app will not recognize Livio's "Online Dictionary" app.
- Launch the dictionary app so it can index (load all the words and definitions). If prompted, tap OK to continue.
- Exit the dictionary app.
- Launch the OverDrive app and open an ebook from the app bookshelf.
- Tap and hold a word.
- On Android 5: Open the dictionary drop-down menu, select the offline dictionary, then tap the magnifying glass.
On Android 6 and up: Tap , then Define (Dictionary name) to define the word in your offline dictionary.
Each time you define a word, you can select the dictionary you'd like to use.
iOS (iPhone/iPad/iPod touch)
You can download language dictionaries to use while reading an ebook in the OverDrive app on an iOS device.
- From your home screen, go to Settings > General > Dictionary.
- Tap the name of a dictionary to download it. Downloaded dictionaries will have a check next to them.
- Once you've added a dictionary, launch the OverDrive app and open an ebook on your app bookshelf.
- Tap and hold a word, then select Look Up.
The app will show relevant results from any installed dictionary.