How to use the ebook reader in OverDrive for Android devices and Fire tablets
You might like our new Libby app—the easiest way to borrow and enjoy ebooks, audiobooks, and magazines from your public library. Get started with Libby on Android, iOS, or in your browser, or learn more about it.
You can use the OverDrive app to download and read borrowed ebooks on your Android device or Fire tablet.
Note: If you'd rather read ebooks in your browser, you can use OverDrive Read instead.
Once you've borrowed and downloaded an ebook in the app, go to your app Bookshelf, then tap the ebook to start reading.
How to use the ebook reader:
- To move forward or backward in the book: To go to the next page, tap the right side of the screen, or swipe the screen from right to left.
To go to the previous page, tap the left side of the screen, or swipe the screen from left to right.
- To look up a word in the dictionary: Tap and hold a word, then tap Define. You can also look it up on Wikipedia, Google Translate, Google Assist, or in an offline dictionary.
Note: If you're using Android 5 or older, tap and hold a word, then select the magnifying glass to define it. Google Translate and Google Assist aren't available within the app.
- To open a hyperlink: Tap and hold the link, then select Open.
- To see your progress and access more reader options:
Tap the middle of the screen.
Reader options (based on the numbered image above) include:
- Return to Bookshelf
- Settings (includes brightness, font, page layout, and more)
- Add a bookmark
- Title menu (includes an overview, table of contents, and saved bookmarks)
- Reading progress