Getting started with Libby
The free Libby app is the easiest way to get started with digital books, audiobooks, and magazines from your public, corporate, or academic library. Libby is available for Android, iOS, and in your browser at libbyapp.com.
- If you have a device that's not compatible with Libby, you can use the OverDrive app to borrow and enjoy digital titles instead.
- If you belong to a school, you may be able to use our new Sora app to borrow ebooks and audiobooks instead.
See Libby in action
Meet Libby, the library reading app.
With Libby, you can borrow free ebooks, digital audiobooks, and magazines from your library. All you need is a library card.
When you open Libby for the first time, you'll search for your library. Then, you can explore the collection and borrow titles or place holds instantly.
On your Shelf, you'll find all your loans, holds, and tags.
By default, loans are automatically downloaded for offline use when you're on Wi-Fi.
Your loans are returned automatically on their due dates, so you never need to worry about late fees.
Tap Manage Loan to see more options for each title (like returning early).
Tap a title to open it and start reading. If you belong to a library in the United States, you'll see the option to send most ebooks to Kindle, or to start reading in Libby.
Use the footer to search, visit your library, access your Shelf, and see your timeline. You can also open your current read.
In the Libby menu, you can see your notifications, add a library, get help, and more.
Download Libby to start borrowing today. Happy reading!
Get started with Libby
Install the Libby app from your device's app store.
Or, visit libbyapp.com in your Chrome, Firefox, Safari, or Edge (Chromium) browser.
In Libby, follow the prompts to find your library and sign in with a valid library card.
Browse your library's collection and borrow a title.
Your selection will vary based on your library, since each library chooses what titles and formats to offer in Libby.
Borrowed titles appear on your Shelf () and download to the app automatically when you're connected to Wi-Fi, so you can read them when you're offline.
On your Shelf, tap loans at the top of the screen. From there, you can:
- Tap Read With... to choose where you'd like to read the book (Kindle or Libby), then finish sending to Kindle (U.S. libraries only) or start reading in Libby.
- Tap Open In Libby, Open Magazine, or Open Audiobook to start reading or listening in the app.
- Tap Manage Loan to see options like Renew and Return.
If you need more help with Libby, please visit Libby Help. Happy reading!