How to transfer audiobooks to an iPod using OverDrive for Mac
You can transfer audiobooks from your computer to your iPod using OverDrive for Mac.
Note: OverDrive for Mac is available for macOS versions 10.6 (Snow Leopard) through 10.14 (Mojave). If you have version 10.15 (Catalina) or newer, see this help article for your audiobook options.
If you have an iOS device (iPhone/iPad/iPod touch), you can borrow and download audiobooks directly using OverDrive for iOS instead.
- Connect your iPod to your computer using a USB cable.
- Open iTunes (if it doesn't open automatically).
- In iTunes, turn on the Manually manage music setting (or enable disk use if you're using an iPod shuffle). This is a one-time step that is required to transfer audiobooks to your iPod from OverDrive for Mac.
- Open OverDrive for Mac.
- Select an audiobook, then click the Transfer button.
When the transfer wizard opens, click Next so the program can detect your iPod.
Note: If you receive an error that says "No portable players could be found...," make sure you enable disk use in iTunes before trying to transfer.
When your iPod is detected, make sure it's selected under "Player." Select the part(s) you want to transfer and click Next.
- When the transfer is complete, click Finish to close the transfer wizard.
Where to find transferred audiobooks on your iPod
By default, transferred audiobooks are listed under "Playlists" or "Music."
- Getting started with iPods and other MP3 players
- How to enable disk use on your iPod shuffle
- How to recategorize audiobooks on an iPod
- How to remove audiobooks from an iPod using iTunes
- How to set the Manually manage music option on your iPod
- How to transfer audiobooks to an iPod using OverDrive for Mac
- How to transfer audiobooks to an iPod using OverDrive for Windows (desktop)