Whenever you install an Android app, it requests that you allow permission to access certain parts of the operating system on your device.
The OverDrive app is safe to install and asks for some standard permissions so you can enjoy eBooks, audiobooks, and streaming video on your device.
OverDrive v3.5+ permissions
- Read, modify, or delete the contents of your SD card: These permissions allow OverDrive to save, access, and delete eBook and audiobook files on your device.
- Network access:
- Full network access: To browse and download titles from your library website, the OverDrive app needs access to the internet.
- View network connections: With this permission, the OverDrive app can determine what type of data connection you're currently on. We use this to make sure you have a data connection when you're downloading a title.
- View Wi-Fi connections: With this permission, the OverDrive app can determine whether or not you're connected to Wi-Fi (and if so, what type it is). We use this to help determine the quality of streaming video when you're watching through the app.
- Pair with Bluetooth devices: With this permission, the OverDrive app can play or pause an audiobook when you connect to or disconnect from a paired Bluetooth device.
- Prevent device from sleeping: This permission prevents the screen from turning off while you're reading or watching a title.