You can transfer MP3 audiobooks from your computer to your Apple device (iPhone, iPad, or iPod) using OverDrive for Mac.
If you have an iOS device (iPhone/iPad/iPod touch) and you prefer not to get your computer involved, you can borrow and download audiobooks directly using OverDrive for iOS.
If you're using a non-Apple MP3 player (like a SanDisk or Sony device), use these instructions instead of the ones below, because transferring to other MP3 players works differently.
What you need
- A Mac computer
- An iPhone, iPad, or iPod
- The USB cable for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod
- OverDrive for Mac
- The latest version of iTunes
- Connect your Apple device to your computer using your USB cable.
- Open iTunes (if it doesn't open automatically).
- In iTunes, turn on the Manually manage music setting.
- This is a one-time step that is required to transfer audiobooks to your Apple device from OverDrive for Mac.
- If you'd prefer to import the audiobook into your iTunes library directly, then sync your Apple device to it, follow these instructions instead.
- Open OverDrive for Mac.
- Select a title, then click the Transfer button.
When the transfer wizard opens, click Next so the program can detect your device.
Note: If you're using an iPod and you receive an error that says "No portable players could be found...," make sure you enable disk use in iTunes before trying to transfer to your device.
When your device is detected, make sure it's selected under "Player." Select the part(s) you want to transfer and click Next.
The transfer begins.
When the transfer is complete, click Finish to close the wizard.
How to find audiobooks transferred to your Apple devices
Audiobooks are listed under "Playlists" or "Music" by default.
You can change where the transferred audiobooks appear on your device by following these instructions.