To transfer borrowed audiobooks to an Apple device, you need to turn on the "Manually manage music" option in iTunes.
The instructions are slightly different if you have an iPod shuffle, so if you have one of those, please see: How to enable disk use on your iPod shuffle.
What you need
- A computer (Windows or Mac)
- An iPhone, iPad, or iPod
- The USB cable that came with your iPhone, iPad, or iPod
- The latest version of iTunes
How to apply the "Manually manage music" option
- Open iTunes.
- Connect your Apple device to your computer using your USB cable.
- Select the Device button near the top-left corner of iTunes.
Check the Manually manage music and videos box under "Options" (in the "Summary" screen).
- Click Apply.
Note: If you disable the "Manually manage music" setting and then sync your Apple device with iTunes, you may lose the items you've manually transferred.