This error typically occurs when your system time is incorrect or when an ODM file for an audiobook was downloaded but not opened in OverDrive's desktop app.
Here's the full error message you may see: "Unable to acquire license to play selected title. The requested license is either invalid or already acquired."
Generally, this error can be resolved by setting your system clock correctly, then downloading the title again:
Make sure your computer's time, date, and time zone settings are correct.
- Windows: Right-click the clock in the lower-right corner of your desktop (on the taskbar), then click Adjust date/time.
- Mac: Click the clock in the upper-right corner, then click Date & Time Preferences.
- Clear your internet browser's temporary files.
Download and open the title you were having trouble with again.
The OverDrive app will open automatically with the newly added audiobook.
If the OverDrive app doesn't automatically open when you download the title, try opening the ODM file (which should show up in your downloads folder).
If you're having trouble opening an ODM file with OverDrive's desktop app, you may need to reset the file association for ODM files. Visit this help article for instructions to set the file association for ODM files on your computer.
Windows XP/Vista users seeing "Unable to acquire license" error
Here is the full error message you may see: "Unable to acquire a license to play the selected title. A connection to the internet could not be established..." This error can be resolved by changing your security settings in Internet Explorer, even if you were originally using a different browser.
- Open Internet Explorer.
- Click the icon, then select Internet options.
- Select the Advanced tab, then scroll down to the "Security" section.
- Uncheck Use SSL 2.0 and Use SSL 3.0, then check Use TLS 1.0.
- Click OK to save your changes.
- Close Internet Explorer, then open the web browser you were originally using.
After you've restarted your web browser, open your library's digital collection and re-download the title.