An ebook is a digital book that can be read on a computer or mobile device.
Here are the different reading options that may be available when you borrow an ebook:
- Read in your browser. No software or downloads are required to read OverDrive Read ebooks.
- Reading progress and bookmarks are stored in the cloud, so you can always pick up where you left off on any device.
- Most ebooks automatically adjust to fit your screen, but some have a fixed layout (set by the publisher) to better display graphic-heavy ebooks.
- Some ebooks (called OverDrive Read-along ebooks) come with professional narration.
- OverDrive Read has a lot of options to customize your reading experience.
- Learn more about getting started with OverDrive Read.
- You can download EPUB ebooks using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on a computer or the OverDrive app (for Android, Chromebook, iOS, or Windows 8 and up).
- There are two types of EPUB ebooks: Adobe and Open EPUB.
- Adobe EPUB
- Open EPUB
- Open EPUB ebooks aren't protected by Adobe's DRM system. This means you don't need to authorize your computer or device before reading them.
- Open EPUBs can be downloaded to any reading app (like iBooks or Play Books) in addition to the OverDrive app or Adobe Digital Editions.
- EPUB ebooks automatically adjust to fit your screen. You can change display options like the font size, number of columns, and more.
- You can download PDF titles using Adobe Digital Editions. Unlike EPUBs, PDFs aren't compatible with the OverDrive app.
- There are two types of PDF ebooks: Adobe and Open PDF.
- Adobe PDF
- Adobe PDFs are protected by Adobe's DRM system. You'll need to authorize your computer before reading them. Learn more about authorizing your computer.
- Open PDF
- Open PDFs aren't protected by Adobe's DRM system. This means you don't need to authorize your computer before reading them.
- Open PDFs can be opened in your device's web browser (like Chrome or Safari) or in a PDF-compatible reading app (not the OverDrive app).
- Adobe PDF
- PDFs have a fixed layout, so they don't automatically adjust to fit your screen, and you can't change display options like font size. However, you can zoom in on pages or graphics.
- PDFs are often used for graphic novels, illustrated ebooks, textbooks, and other titles with specific layouts.
- You can read Kindle Books on any Kindle device or Kindle reading app.
- Kindle Books are only available to borrow from U.S. libraries and schools.
- They work just like any other Kindle Book from Amazon, but they expire at the end of your lending period like any library ebook.
- Learn how to borrow Kindle Books from your library (U.S. only).
- Read in your browser. No software or downloads are required to read MediaDo Reader ebooks.
- MediaDo Reader is designed to displaygraphic novels and content that reads right-to-left or top-to-bottom.
- Reading progress and bookmarks are saved in your current browser.
- These ebooks have a static layout with set page breaks, so you can zoom in and out of pages or graphics.
- Learn more about MediaDo Reader's features.