Open EPUB and Open PDF eBooks are compatible with more devices and applications than protected EPUB and PDF eBooks. This means that you have more freedom when reading an "open" eBook.
If you don't already have a favorite eBook app or program, we suggest checking out Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) for reading Open EPUBs or Open PDFs on a Windows or Mac computer, or the OverDrive app for reading Open EPUBs on a Chromebook, Windows 8, or mobile device.
What you need
A computer or device you can use to read eBooks. For example:
- A Windows or Mac computer with reading software (like Adobe Digital Editions)
- An eReader such as a NOOK or Kobo
- An Android, Chromebook, iOS (iPhone/iPad/iPod touch), Windows 8, or Windows Phone 8 device with a reading app (like the OverDrive app)
Reading Open eBooks using Adobe Digital Editions
Open Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on your Windows or Mac computer.
Go to File > Add to Library. Select the EPUB or PDF file.
- Double-click a jacket cover to start reading.
When the book opens, you can start reading right away, or adjust your settings.
- Use the arrow keys on your keyboard or the Page Back and Page Forward buttons to turn the pages.
Read Open EPUBs and Open PDFs on your portable device
There are a lot of apps and devices that support Open EPUB and Open PDF files.
We recommend using ADE to transfer Open EPUBs or Open PDFs to supported eReaders. If you're using a computer or mobile device that supports the OverDrive app (Android, Chromebook, iOS, Windows 8, and Windows Phone 8), you can download and read Open EPUBs directly in the app.
Note: Open EPUBs and Open PDFs are compatible with many eReaders and reading apps. You don't need ADE or the OverDrive app to read these formats.