You can transfer audiobooks from your computer to your Apple device (iPhone, iPad, or iPod) using OverDrive for Windows (desktop).
If you have an iOS device (iPhone/iPad/iPod touch) and prefer not to use a computer, you can borrow and download audiobooks directly using OverDrive for iOS.
If you're using a non-Apple MP3 player (like a SanDisk or Sony device), use these instructions instead of the ones below, because transferring to other MP3 players works a little differently.
What you need
- Windows XP or newer
- An iPhone, iPad, or iPod
- A USB cable for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod
- OverDrive for Windows (desktop)
- The latest version of iTunes
- Connect your Apple device to your computer using your USB cable.
- Open iTunes (if it doesn't open automatically).
- In iTunes, turn on the Manually manage music setting.
- This is a one-time step that is required to transfer audiobooks to your Apple device from OverDrive for Windows.
- If you'd prefer to import an MP3 audiobook into your iTunes library directly so you can sync it to your device, follow these instructions instead.
- Open OverDrive for Windows (desktop).
- Select an audiobook, then click the Transfer button.
When the transfer wizard opens, click Next so the program can detect your device.
- If you're using iTunes 12.1 and are having trouble transferring MP3 audiobooks to your Apple device, please update OverDrive for Windows to the latest version.
- If you're using an iPod and you receive an error that says "No portable players could be found...," make sure you enable disk use in iTunes before trying to transfer to your device.
When your device is detected, make sure Apple device is selected under "Player." Select the part(s) you want to transfer and click Next.
The transfer begins.
- When the transfer is complete, click Finish to close the transfer wizard.
Where to find transferred audiobooks on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod
By default, transferred audiobooks are listed under Music > Albums.
You can change where transferred audiobooks appear on your device by following these instructions.
No portable players could be found. Please make sure your portable player or cable is properly inserted into the appropriate slot of this computer.