You can use OverDrive's mobile app for Windows 8 to borrow and enjoy eBooks, audiobooks, and streaming video from your library on your Windows 8 or RT device. Windows 8 comes on tablets and computers, and Windows RT comes on tablets like the Microsoft Surface RT and Surface 2.
Note: The steps below work with both Windows 8 and Windows RT. With Windows 8 (but not Windows RT), you can also install the classic desktop version of OverDrive's software for Windows, which will allow you to download WMA audiobooks/music and WMV video, and burn and transfer files (as permitted).
Install the OverDrive app from the Windows Store.
Open the OverDrive app and follow the prompts to create an OverDrive account (optional) and log in. Next, you'll be asked to create or sign in with an Adobe ID, which is required to download protected eBooks.
Note: Only newer versions of the OverDrive app will prompt you to sign in or sign up for an OverDrive account. If you don't see these prompts, or if you choose not to create an account, skip to step 3.
In the OverDrive app, find your library's OverDrive-powered website. To do this, select the Add a library button, then follow the prompts to find your library.
- Once you find it, swipe down (or right click) on your library to save it to your "My libraries" list.
- Click or tap your library's name to start browsing.
Log into your library's OverDrive-powered website with your library card and borrow a book.
Find borrowed books under your account on your library website. You can:
- Download EPUB eBooks* and MP3 audiobooks directly to the OverDrive app.
- Select Play to play streaming videos right in your browser.
- Select Read to open and read OverDrive Read eBooks right in your browser.
- If you've installed the Kindle reading app from the Windows Store, you can select Kindle Book (U.S. only) to complete checkout on Amazon's website and send the book to your Kindle reading app.
*Note: To read eBooks in the OverDrive app, follow the prompts to authorize your device with an Adobe ID. It's a one-time, free process that takes just moments to complete.
For a video overview of how to get started with Windows 8 or RT, check out our help videos.