You can use the OverDrive app to get eBooks, audiobooks, streaming videos, and periodicals from your library on your Windows 8 or RT device. Windows 8 comes on tablets and computers, and Windows RT comes on tablets like the Microsoft Surface RT and Surface 2.
Note: The steps below work with both Windows 8 and Windows RT. With Windows 8 (but not Windows RT), you can also install OverDrive's desktop app, which will allow you to download WMA audiobooks/music and WMV video, and burn and transfer files (as permitted).
Install the OverDrive app from the Windows Store.
Open the OverDrive app and follow the prompts to create an OverDrive account and log in. If you're under 13, select I am under 13 years old instead.
In the OverDrive app, select the Add a library button, then follow the prompts to find your library's OverDrive website.
- Once you find it, swipe down (or right click) on your library to save it to your "My libraries" list.
- Click or tap your library's name to start browsing.
Log into your library's OverDrive website with your library card and borrow a title.
Note: Magazines and newspapers work a little differently than other digital titles. They have a Send to NOOK app button instead of a Borrow button, and to read them, you'll need to install the NOOK reading app from the Windows Store. See getting started with periodicals for more help.
Find borrowed titles under your account on your library's OverDrive website. You can:
- Download EPUB eBooks and MP3 audiobooks directly to the OverDrive app.
- Select Play to play streaming videos right in your browser.
- Select Read to open and read OverDrive Read or MediaDo Reader eBooks right in your browser.
- If you've installed the Kindle reading app from the Windows Store, select Kindle Book (U.S. only) to complete checkout on Amazon's website and send the book to your Kindle reading app.
For a video overview of how to get started with Windows 8 or RT, check out our help videos.