Windows 8 can be found on desktop computers, laptops, and tablets. Windows 8 devices feature a Start screen with live tiles, but they can also run in a more traditional desktop mode. This means that Windows 8 devices can install legacy Windows desktop programs as well as apps from the Windows Store.
Windows RT is an edition of Windows 8 that is found on certain tablets. Windows RT devices can install apps from the Windows Store, but cannot install legacy Windows programs.
If you're not sure which version you have, please see our help article on how to figure out if you have Windows 8 or RT.
Windows 8 and RT:
- OverDrive for Windows 8 (for EPUB eBooks and MP3 audiobooks)
- An up-to-date web browser like Chrome, Firefox, or Internet Explorer 10 or above (for OverDrive Read eBooks, MediaDo Reader eBooks, OverDrive Listen audiobooks, and streaming video)*
- Kindle's reading app for Windows 8 (for Kindle Books)
- NOOK's reading app for Windows 8 (for NOOK periodicals)
*Note: Windows RT devices only work with Internet Explorer.
Windows 8 only:
- OverDrive's desktop app for Windows (for MP3 audiobooks)
- Adobe Digital Editions for Windows (for PDF eBooks)
- OverDrive Read
- Adobe and Open EPUB
- Kindle Books (U.S. only)
- MediaDo Reader
- Adobe and Open PDF (Windows 8 only)
Some examples of Windows 8 and RT devices
- Surface 2
- Surface RT
Getting started with OverDrive in Windows 8 or RT
- Getting started with Windows 8 and RT (article)