Follow the steps below to activate your Sony Reader Wi-Fi with an Adobe ID, then download eBooks from your library directly to your Sony Reader.
Note: If you prefer, you can transfer eBooks from your computer to your Reader instead, using Sony Reader software.
First, authorize your Reader with an Adobe ID
- Install Sony Reader software for Windows or Mac.
- Borrow an eBook on your computer, then download it in the EPUB or PDF format. When you open the downloaded eBook, it should load automatically in the Reader software.
Note: If the eBook doesn't open automatically in the Reader software, close your browser, then navigate to the eBook file you just downloaded (the file type should be "ACSM") in your computer's "Downloads" folder. Then right-click (control-click on a Mac) the ACSM file and open it with Reader for PC or Reader for Mac.
- When the Reader software opens, it will prompt you to enter an Adobe ID. If you don't have one, you can create one on Adobe's website. You need to authorize the Reader software to download the eBook.
- Plug your Reader Wi-Fi into your computer. On some Reader models, you will be asked if you want your computer to recognize your device (tap Yes). On some models, you will need to put your Reader into USB transfer mode using these steps:
- Tap the Status Bar at the top of the screen, then USB connected.
- Tap Data Transfer Mode. You may see an "AutoPlay" pop-up on your computer. If so, close it.
- In most cases, your computer will authorize your Reader automatically with your Adobe ID. If you see an authorization pop-up on your computer, click Yes to authorize your Reader.
Note: To see if your Reader has been authorized successfully, select the Info icon in the Reader software on your computer (while your Reader is connected) and make sure that your Adobe ID is listed under your Reader.
Next, connect your Reader to a Wi-Fi network
- Tap the black Status Bar at the top of the screen.
- Check the Wi-Fi box, then tap Wi-Fi Settings.
- Tap on your Wi-Fi network and enter your password (if required) to connect to it.
Find your library on your device
- From the home screen on your Sony Reader, tap the > button.
- If available, tap Public Library. If you don't see this option, open your browser and go to overdrive.com to locate your library.
- On the page that opens, tap Find libraries near you and search for your library.
- In the search results, tap your library's name to start browsing its digital collection.
Borrow and download titles using your Sony Reader
- Borrow an eBook from your library's digital collection.
Note: If you're not already signed into your library's digital collection, you'll be prompted to do so.
- Download the borrowed eBook (see this article if you have trouble finding it).
- Tap the Status Bar (at the very top of your screen), then tap the eBook you just downloaded to open it.