You can use the OverDrive app to borrow and enjoy eBooks, audiobooks, and streaming video from your library on your Kindle Fire, Fire HD, or Fire HDX.
Note: Kindle Books are currently available for U.S. libraries only. However, users from any country can still follow the steps below to install the OverDrive app and access OverDrive Read eBooks, EPUB eBooks, MediaDo Reader eBooks, MP3 audiobooks, and streaming videos on a Kindle Fire, Fire HD, or Fire HDX (some digital formats may not be available from all libraries).
Download the OverDrive app from one of the following:
Open the OverDrive app and follow the prompts to create an OverDrive account and log in. If you're under 13, select I am under 13 years old instead.
Note: If you're using a first generation Kindle Fire, skip this step and move on to step 3.
In the OverDrive app, find your library's OverDrive website. On most Kindle Fires, you can do this by swiping from left to right to open the Home menu, then tapping Add a library. On first generation Kindle Fires, tap the icon (or, if you don't have this icon, go to Menu > Get Books).
- Tap the star to save your library to your library list.
- Tap your library's name to start browsing.
Log into your library's OverDrive website with your library card and borrow a title.
Find borrowed titles under your account on your library's OverDrive website. You can:
- Download EPUB eBooks* and MP3 audiobooks directly to the OverDrive app.
- Select Kindle Book (U.S. only) to complete checkout on Amazon's website and send the book to your Kindle.
- Add streaming videos to the OverDrive app.
Note: Some streaming video titles (like those from Starz) cannot be played on Kindle Fire and Fire HD tablets.
- Tap Read to open and read OverDrive Read or MediaDo Reader eBooks right in your browser. For the best reading experience, turn off Accelerate page loading.
*Note: If you're using a first generation Kindle Fire, you'll need to authorize your device with an Adobe ID to download EPUB eBooks. It's a one-time, free process that takes just moments to complete.
For a video overview of how to get started with your Kindle Fire, check out our help videos.