With OverDrive Read, you can borrow eBooks and read them right in your browser with a single click. You don't need to download files or install extra software; all you need is a compatible web browser.
To start using OverDrive Read, borrow an eBook that's available in the OverDrive Read format from your library's OverDrive website. Then, click or tap the Read button next to the eBook on your library Bookshelf (under your Account). The book will open in a new tab in your browser.
- Click or tap the right or left edges of the eBook to turn the pages.
- Click or tap and hold a word to define it, make a note, or highlight some text. If you borrow the same eBook in the future, your notes, highlights, and bookmarks will be saved.
- On larger screens, click or tap the bookmark icon to save a bookmark.
- On smaller screens, tap the top-right corner of the screen to save a bookmark.
- Click or tap the middle of the screen to bring up the seekometer, which lets you scroll quickly through the book and see where you've made bookmarks and highlights.
- Directly above the seekometer, you'll see the timeline, which you can also use to scroll through the book or select the markers to jump to your previous (or furthest) reading position.
To open the OverDrive Read menu on larger screens, select the Menu button at the top of the screen.
Or, on smaller screens, tap the middle of the screen, then tap the menu icon.
Menu features include:
- Overview: Read a summary of the eBook, as provided by the publisher.
- Search: Look for a word or phrase in the eBook text.
- Chapters: Browse the eBook's table of contents and quickly jump to chapters.
- Marks: View the bookmarks, notes, and highlights you've placed in the eBook. Click one to return to that part of the book.
- Readability Settings: Adjust the eBook's text size, lighting, and font (available for most eBooks). Learn more about the readability settings below.
- Offline access: Cache an eBook in your browser (or on your iOS device's home screen) so you can read it later without an internet connection. Learn more about offline reading here.
- Tips & Secrets: Find advanced tips and tricks for using OverDrive Read.
If you're reading a narrated eBook, you'll also see:
- Narration: Start playback or adjust the volume and playback speed.
In many OverDrive Read eBooks, you can adjust the readability settings to change how the eBook looks.
Note: Fixed-layout eBooks (like graphic novels or picture books) don't have readability options because the publisher decides exactly how each page will display. Learn more about fixed-layout eBooks here.
Readability settings include:
- Text scale: Use the slider to adjust the size of the text in the eBook.
- Lighting: Choose day (black text on a white background) or night (white text on a black background).
Note: If you're looking for sepia mode, make sure neither Lighting option is selected and choose the Paperback book design instead.
- Book design: Choose a preset design you like, or select DIY to customize font, justification, and line spacing.