An audiobook is a recorded book that can be played on a computer or mobile device.
Here are the different audiobook formats that may be available to you when you borrow an audiobook from your library or school:
- OverDrive Listen audiobooks play right in your web browser. No software or downloads are required.
- OverDrive Listen has features like notes, bookmarks, and variable playback speed that let you customize your listening experience.
- Your listening progress, notes, and bookmarks are stored in the cloud, so you can always pick up where you left off no matter what device you're using.
- You can return OverDrive Listen audiobooks early (before the end of the lending period) right from your Checkouts page (under your account), as long as you haven't also downloaded the MP3 version of the audiobook.
- Learn more about getting started with OverDrive Listen, including what devices and browsers work best with it.
- You can download and listen to MP3 audiobooks using any version of the OverDrive app (including OverDrive for Windows, Mac, Chromebook, and mobile devices).
- Most versions of the OverDrive app (desktop and mobile) have features like bookmarks, a sleep timer, and variable playback speed that let you customize your listening experience.
- If you can't install the OverDrive app on your device (for example, if you're using an iPod shuffle or MP3 player), you can transfer MP3 audiobooks from a Windows or Mac computer to your device using OverDrive for Windows or Mac.
- MP3 audiobooks are compatible with most devices, including Macs and Apple devices.
- You can burn MP3 audiobooks to CDs using OverDrive for Windows or Mac.
- You can return MP3 audiobooks early (before the end of the lending period) through the OverDrive app (except on Macs).