With OverDrive for Android, you can find and borrow audiobooks, eBooks, and streaming video from your library's digital collection.
Here are some examples of popular devices that run Android and can use the OverDrive app:
- Samsung Galaxy phones and tablets
- Google Nexus devices
- Kindle tablets (Fire, Fire HD, and Fire HDX)
- NOOK tablets (HD, HD+, and NOOK by Samsung tablets)
- Kobo tablets (Arc and Arc HD)
Note: These are just a few examples of Android devices, so if you don't see your device, but you think it runs Android, try the instructions below.
Option 1: Install OverDrive's app from Google Play Store or the Amazon Appstore
Download the OverDrive app from either the Google Play Store or the Amazon Appstore. Tap the buttons below to quickly find our app.
Option 2: If you do not have access to Google Play Store, install OverDrive directly
If you have an Android device that doesn't have access to the Google Play Store, you can try installing the Amazon Appstore, or follow the instructions below to install OverDrive's app directly.
- Go to app.overdrive.com and scroll to the bottom.
- Select download for Android OS 4.0 (or newer) or Android OS v2.2-3.2, depending on your device.
If you're unsure what version of Android your device is running, go to Settings, then About [Device] or Info.
- Review the license agreement. Tap I Agree to download the installation file.
You may get a warning saying that this kind of file can harm your device (shown below). This is normal, and we test our installer to make sure it's safe to install. Click OK to continue.
- You should see a download icon in your notification bar at the top of the screen. Pull down from the top of your screen, then tap the APK file once the download is complete.
- If prompted, open the file with the "Package Installer."
- If you get the "Install blocked" message, follow these instructions to allow installation from "Unknown Sources." If you don't get this message, continue to step 7.
- Review the app's permissions, then tap Install (or Next).
The app installs.
- Tap Open to launch OverDrive for Android, or tap Done to close the installer.