If you're installing the app for the first time, all you need to download DRM-protected eBooks on an Android device is an OverDrive account. The first time you open the app you'll be prompted to create an OverDrive account or log in. Once you log in, your device will automatically be authorized.
To download the same eBooks on additional computers and devices, be sure to authorize each computer or device with the same OverDrive account (find steps to authorize your computer here). You may authorize up to six computers and devices with one OverDrive account. You can manage your saved devices by signing into overdrive.com and visiting the Devices page (under your Settings).
Note: If you're using the legacy version of our app, please see the Authorize older versions of the OverDrive app with an Adobe ID section at the bottom of the page.
If you're upgrading to a newer version of the OverDrive app (3.2+), we recommend signing up for an OverDrive account. Here's why:
- Signing up in the app will automatically save your current Adobe ID to your account.
- If you reinstall the app, or install it on a new device, you'll be required to sign in with (or sign up for) an OverDrive account.
- When you sign in with an OverDrive account, it'll automatically authorize the app with your saved Adobe ID or OverDrive account. So, you'll be able to download protected eBooks on your device.
If you've created an OverDrive account and you'd rather use an Adobe ID with your account, you can deauthorize your OverDrive account and reauthorize the app using an Adobe ID.
- In the OverDrive app, open the Home menu (tap the icon in the top-left corner), then tap Settings.
- From there, tap Deauthorize.
- Tap Authorize.
- Tap No when asked whether or not you'd like to use your existing authorization through your OverDrive account.
- Tap Use my Adobe ID to authorize the app with your Adobe ID.
- Enter your Adobe ID credentials, then tap Authorize.
- In the OverDrive app, tap the Menu button, then select App Settings.
- Enter your Adobe ID and password into the correct fields, and tap Authorize to finish.
- Or, if you don't have an Adobe ID, tap Get a free Adobe ID. This will take you to Adobe's website.
- Select Get an Adobe ID.
- Fill out their sign-up form and select Sign up.
- Return to the "App Settings" page in the OverDrive app, and enter your newly made Adobe ID.