If you have not yet borrowed an eBook from your library, learn how to here.
Reading eBooks in your browser
- OverDrive Read and MediaDo Reader work a lot like any other eBook reader or reading app, except they open eBooks directly in your web browser. You can learn more about OverDrive Read here or MediaDo Reader here.
- We recommend Android 4.0 or newer. If eBooks aren't displaying correctly, or performance is poor, try using a different browser like Chrome or Firefox. For more information see:
Tap the Read (In your browser) button next to a borrowed eBook on your library bookshelf to read using OverDrive Read or MediaDo Reader.
- Try an OverDrive Read sample or a MediaDo Reader sample to see how it works.
Reading eBooks using the OverDrive app
Open OverDrive for Android and tap an eBook from your app bookshelf to open it. If you have not yet borrowed an eBook from your library, learn how to here.
Note: If you're using the legacy version of our app, your app bookshelf will look different from the screenshot below, but these steps should still work for you.
- To go to the next page: Tap the right side of the screen, or swipe the screen from right to left.
- To go to the previous page: Tap the left side of the screen, or swipe the screen from left to right.
Tap and hold a word, then tap the magnifying glass to look it up in the dictionary.
If desired, you can edit the field in the dictionary pop-up. This allows you to search for different words or whole phrases in the dictionary or on Wikipedia.
Tap the center of the screen to view your progress and to access the reader options.
The reader options on the action bar allow you to change eBook settings (font, layout, and more) and access additional features.
Note: If you're using our legacy app, you won't see the action bar. If this is the case, go to Menu > Reader Settings to customize your settings.
Tap the middle of the screen to open the reader options, then swipe left or right to open the Home or Title menu.
Note: If you're using our legacy app, the Home and Title menus won't be available. Instead, please use your Menu button to get to similar features.
- To open a hyperlink in the eBook, tap and hold the link.