Reading eBooks with OverDrive Read
- We recommend Android 4.0 and up for OverDrive Read. If eBooks are not being displayed correctly, or performance is poor, try using a different browser like Chrome or Firefox.
- Open OverDrive Read eBooks from your bookshelf on your library's digital collection website. Tap the Read (In your browser) button next to a borrowed eBook to start reading.
- OverDrive Read works like any other eBook reader or reading app, except it opens directly in your browser. Learn more about OverDrive Read's features here.
- Try an OverDrive Read sample now to see how it works.
Reading eBooks using OverDrive Media Console (OMC)
Open OMC for Android and tap an eBook from your OMC bookshelf to open it. If you have not yet borrowed an eBook from your library, learn how to here.
Note: If you're using the legacy version of our app, your OMC bookshelf will look different from the screenshot below, but these steps should still work for you.
- To go to the next page: Tap the right side of the screen, or swipe the screen from right to left.
- To go to the previous page: Tap the left side of the screen, or swipe the screen from left to right.
Tap and hold a word, then tap the magnifying glass to look it up in the dictionary.
If desired, you can edit the field in the dictionary pop-up. This allows you to search for different words or whole phrases in the dictionary or on Wikipedia.
Tap the center of the screen to view your progress and to access the reader options.
The reader options on the action bar allow you to change eBook settings (font, layout, and more) and access additional features.
Note: If you're using our legacy app, you won't see the action bar. If this is the case, go to Menu > Reader Settings to customize your settings.
Tap the middle of the screen to open the reader options, then swipe left or right to open the Home or Title menu.
Note: If you're using our legacy app, the Home and Title menus won't be available. Instead, please use your Menu button to get to similar features.
- To open a hyperlink in the eBook, tap and hold the link.